Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Poor Gregg

I'm feeling a bit bad about maligning Gregg Allman in my last post. Not that what I said was untrue, at least according to a biography of the band I read last year. But it wasn't a nice depiction of one of my favorite musicians. Gregg was a great blues singer at an impossibly young age; it was as if he sang the blues first and lived them later. He was a great song writer in his early years, and I think the reason the band really hit the skids was that he stopped writing. Well, that and the drug addiction, alcoholism, chronic inability to handle business affairs, serial marriages, deaths of various band members, drug arrests, band instability caused by Gregg being the snitch in the drug arrests, and perhaps just some "stupid" gene that kept him from ever getting it together.

###

No comments: