This is over an extradition request by Sweden on a charge that even if true would not be a crime in Britain... and there is much evidence that it is not true.
How far will Britain and Sweden go to help the US get their hands on Assange? So far:
- A dozen US financial institutions, including MasterCard and Visa, blocked transfers of money to WikiLeaks.
- Sweden is pursuing obviously false trumped up rape charges with a vigor that is never seen even for real, serious rape charges.
- Sweden refused to interview Assange about the charges over video phone or in the UK, and insisted he return to Swedish soil.
- Interpol issued an arrest warrant - unheard of for someone wanted for questioning in a case like this.
- Sweden demanded extradition, and spent over a year in court
- Britain puts Assange under house arrest for over a year, and eventually decides to extradite him.
- When Assange takes refuge in an embassy, Britain threatens to revoke Ecuador's diplomatic status and storm the embassy!
- Britain has 50 police outside the Ecuadorian embassy, making sure Assange doesn't escape.