Monday, December 01, 2008

The Canadian Version of Impeachment

The last time a leader was so godawful that the opposition had to oust him was in Ontario in 1985. The last federal precedent was King-Byng (long before my time). You have to be a really miserable sonofabitch to lose the confidence of your colleagues so thoroughly that they boot you out of office.

Getting political adversaries to reach an agreement on governing is extremely difficult, and can only occur when they are united in the firm, sincere belief that they have no choice but to find a way to work together. Prime Minister Stephen Harper was the most detestable, arrogant, incompetent, nasty and untrustworthy national leader of my lifetime. He brought this on himself and good riddance.

###

3 comments:

JCKelan said...

From the preamble of the Accord:



"a belief in the role of Government to act as a partner with Canadians and Quebecers."



You have already partitioned the country! This is the first government ever to have agreed to such a thing. Woe, Canada!



This is treasonous behaviour. Shame, shame, shame. Liberals will regret the day that they undermined our country for the sake of power.



JC Kelan

Bert said...

I used to think you were a reasonable person Yappa. This post changed my mind.

Do you not recall PM Paul Martin ?. A more arrogant PM never existed.

Yappa said...

Hi Bert -

Again, sorry for the delay in publishing your comment. You weren't singled out - I have a glitch with blogger and hadn't published any comments in a while.

I'm sorry to be so critical. I didn't like Paul Martin much either, although in his case I thought most of his nastiness was aimed within the Liberal party.

When I wrote this post, it crossed my mind that a third of Canadians voted for Harper and that they had a valid perspective too, but I am so mad about the situation that I didn't let that moderate my words.

In a month or two I might agree with you that I went too far and was unreasonable, but for the moment that's my sincere outlook on Harper as a leader going forward. The only way out of this mess for the Conservatives that I can see is choosing a new leader.