Thursday, November 23, 2006

Don't Ask Questions, Just Vote!

The London, Ontario by-election is shaping up to be a strange beast. Tory "star candidate" (and former London mayor) Dianne Haskett is refusing to talk to the voters. She was booed at an all-candidates meeting and since then has refused to attend any other all-candidate events. She also refused to answer a questionnaire sent to all candidates by City Council, as well as questionnaires given to candidates by other groups.

According to the London Free Press, even long-time local Conservatives are upset by her campaign. "The problem with her lack of response is it shows disdain for city council and the citizens of London," said deputy mayor Tom Gosnell.

I don't know what this all means, but I hope the voters of London don't let this woman win.

This is a particularly mean-spirited by-election, since it can hardly be a coincidence that Harper called it so that the vote occurs just before the start of the leadership convention... meaning that two of the leadership candidates, Kennedy and Rae, both of whom were rumored to be considering a run in this by-election, were unable to do so.

Update: After receiving a comment that some stuff I said about Haskett's platform was untrue, I removed the untrue stuff rather than publish the comment. I wrote this in something of a rush and I'm afraid I didn't think through my vitriol. ;-) Thanks for correcting me.

No comments: